We’re SimpsonScarborough, the first and last name in higher education research, strategy, and creative. In other words, we’re higher education marketers. We’re researchers who answer questions, strategists who question answers, and creatives who connect the dots, transforming questions into exclamation points, and building living, breathing higher education brands that inspire and endure.
As our Operations/Production Manager you’ll be an essential part of bringing things together so we can continue to deliver great work for clients and maintain the, fun, collaborative, fast-paced and independent environment we’ve enjoyed as a growing agency. At SimpsonScarborough, a successful Operations Manager will work across the company to develop, manage and oversee process, technology, tools, and resources that allow us to produce industry-leading work. The successful candidate should have proven leadership skills, be adept with various technology platforms, have success in managing resources and budgets, be good at problem solving and negotiating conflicting goals and priorities, able to juggle varied tasks and be equally adept at either extending a helpful hand by extending a deadline or putting your foot down when the moment—and client—requires it.
This position will report directly to SimpsonScarborough’s partners and be located in our headquarters office in Alexandria, Va., but work collaboratively with distributed team members in Oakland, Columbus, Chicago, Baltimore and other locations.
What you’ll be doing daily will include but likely not be limited to:
- Work across the agency with senior leadership and team members of differing personalities and experiences to create, evolve, and maintain agency process and technology requirements for effectively managing internal project teams, workloads, communication, and timelines
- Identify, implement and manage technology assets and platforms including project management software, file sharing and storage, internal collaboration and communication tools, or others that you recognize may support getting the best work done
- Participate in calls/meetings (both internal and with clients as needed) to provide status updates
- Create regular status reports working with teams to ensure proper resources are in place to meet deadlines
- Proactively recognize, identify and solve for differing priorities or goals, and effectively manage conflict
- Coordinate project deliverables and guiding the team through potential risks, developing contingency plans as appropriate
- Manage project communications and documenting issues and changes that affect the project
- Proactively identify areas for improvement within process; suggest/implement solutions
- Anticipate and identify workload issues and risks to mitigate any issues
- Set and communicate clear expectations for tasks and deliverables across teams accountable for the work
- Make recommendations that would streamline processes, decrease inefficiencies, and help drive innovation across the agency
- Perform regular audits of processes and work performed to ensure projects are in alignment with objectives and budgets.
- Train and mentor project strategists and other team members in project and client management tools
- Proactively support and participate in agency improvement initiatives
- Keep all stakeholders apprised of potential threats to successful delivery of projects
- Maintain and manage any external contractors or freelancers who are (or may be) engaged in agency projects
The experience and skills you should bring to the position include:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 5+ years of experience with project plan development, estimation, and coordination with vendors, and external resources within a marketing, branding or creative agency.
- PMP certification is preferred.
- Experience evaluating and implementing technology tools to support project management, file storage, communication, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple simultaneous competing priorities.
- Expert knowledge and experience in communicating work flow steps and internal processes, particularly for branding and creative projects (digital and traditional).
- Financial understanding and ability to manage projects according to client scope of work and profitability
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office Suite (Excel and Powerpoint specifically), project management software, and other technology tools.
- Demonstrated ability to inspire teamwork and motivate teams.
- Ability to effectively negotiate and diplomatically manage competing priorities and conflict across all levels of the organization.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (articulate, poised, and convincing).
- Ability to organize and problem solve complex projects.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to multitask.
- Ability to anticipate and resolve issues, keeping big picture in mind.
- Ability to adapt to different team member and types of work.
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented with strong follow up skills.
- Strong initiative & personal responsibility for work.
- Willingness and desire to work very independently.
- Positive, enthusiastic team-player attitude.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Jason Simon, Partner, at firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
Senior Account Executive or Account Executive
SimpsonScarborough seeks a full-time Account Executive for its Old Town Alexandria, VA headquarters office. We are a small, dynamic team looking for a self-motivated and enthusiastic new member. We expect a lot from our team members and champion their successes. The Account Executive will have the opportunity to play a significant role in managing client relationships and work directly with company leadership in a fun, fast-paced environment.
- Ensure day-to-day communication with clients is timely, accurate, friendly, and professional
- Establish and enforce project timelines
- Ensure processes are followed to maintain high-quality deliverables
- Support both qualitative and quantitative primary market research studies, including, but not limited to: drafting survey instruments and moderator guides, working with external vendors, conducting focus groups, and writing qualitative research reports
- Guide and manage a wide variety of projects that may include market research, brand strategy, and/or creative development
- Provide substantive feedback to the team on deliverables (research reports, brand and communications audits, creative concepts, brand positioning, etc.)
- Present deliverables directly to clients and key stakeholders, both in person and via webinars
- 3+ years experience in marketing, market research, or branding at a higher education institution, non-profit, social cause, or creative agency
- Strong project management and organization skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication and people skills
- Comfort working independently and with multiple remote clients and partners
- Ability to problem-solve in a fast-paced work environment
- Experience managing multiple projects at a time and effectively assessing and reprioritizing workload regularly
- Proficiency in MS Office with emphasis in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of/experience with media production (digital and/or print) is preferred but not required
- Bachelors in Business Administration, Marketing, Communications, Market Research or the like; or Bachelors in a Social Sciences discipline with research experience
The position requires approximately 10-30% travel, visiting some of the nation’s finest college campuses. Salary is commensurate with experience. Please submit cover letters and resumes to Wanda Hoath at email@example.com.